Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Alternative ending ideas?

Alternative ending ideas? 7 years 6 months ago #1497

• devine
  • Fresh Boarder
I love the ending! I thought it was very original and definitely unexpected. I was just wondering how people here would've ended it if they were the writers?

I think that a good twist would be if the old bloke he played chess with was number 1 and challenged number 6 to a final game of chess to determine whether he would be let free or not ( I'd imagine the game itself wouldn't be interesting for the viewers but with some great dialogue added here and there it could work). However, it turns out number 1 was letting him win all this time (y'know, so he would be happy or something) and wins so the prisoner finally accepts The Village.

Thinking about it again I no longer like my idea because 1) I don't think no. 6 would ever give up and accepts his imprisonment 2) I don't like the idea of him losing at chess.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Alternative ending ideas? 6 years 2 weeks ago #1855

• admin
  • Administrator
I've moved this to the correct forum as it appears to be about the original Prisoner.

Re: Alternative ending ideas? 5 years 5 months ago #1968

This is something I've often thought about as well, the ending was interesting but like many I too was disappointed that we didn't actually get a "Number 1" apart from the rather iffy conclusion that Number 6 was himself Number 1, it was certainly an exciting albeit confusing ending, a great twist too but rather inconsistent with a lot of what happened earlier in the show, like for example, Number 2 was talking on the phone to what could only have been the boss because as we understand Number 2 was second only to one so he....or she didn't have to grovel to anyone else and yet we saw a Number 2 talking to and grovelling to the boss on the phone in the clear presence of Number 6 :huh: :unsure: , so it really didn't add up did it?? :unsure:.

Anyway, my alternative endings....actually I have two that I would like to share, one would have been to have had the little butler whom everyone pushed around to turn out to be Number One :laugh: , nobody would have suspected, after all, what better disguise for someone at the top of an organisation than to pretend to be just a mere humble servant of it??, you know....'Undercover Boss' :laugh:, the second would fit in with the way it ended anyway but with a slight change, what I would have done was to make Number 1 turn out to be Number 6's evil twin brother, so they are the same in every way and would explain why they look alike, the bit that could be amended is when Number 6 pulls off the ape mask to reveal the face of Number 1, he could just shout something like...'my god....you....you're my twin brother....the one I was told about....you're the one behind all of this??'.

Of course the only thing that might not fit with that is 'Schizoid Man', why have someone else made to look like Number 6 when his evil twin could have done the job??, I think it might have made more sense than the way it actually ended though and who knows??, in a way, perhaps it might have been what the late great Patrick McGoohan meant, that's the problem, we don't precisely know what he was driving at he never did really specify what it was about other than that he reassured everyone that the conclusion was there, it's deep, he did mention about it being about the "darker side of ourselves" etc, again, this could mean a lot of different things, so who really knows??, it is a mystery and up for debate even to this day some 44 years later people still argue over it, interesting to entertain the notion of alternative endings mind :).
Be seeing you
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

The Prisoner on Facebook

More Prisoner

Notice

The Final Word

This site is an unofficial guide to Dangerman (1960), The Prisoner (1967) and The Prisoner (2009). Images and text are copyright their respective owners, portions owned by Granada Media, Granada International, American Movie Classics Company LLC and AMCtv.com. Other content Copyright © 2006-2013, may not be reproduced without permission.
Please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Website by Pure Glow Media. Find out about Theme Parks in America | Bournemouth | Jack Bauer's 24