Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name?

Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 6 years 9 months ago #1705

The Prisoner has had his name taken away from him, but he is given a number. That Number is Six. And I suppose it could also be said that the Prisoner has been given a new name, that of Number Six. But have you observed just how reluctant people are in 'the Prisoner' to actually use his name?
The Prisoner has used code names in the past, Duval in France, Schmitt in Germany, and within the British Military Intelligence Service ZM73. The Prisoner did once use the name of Peter Smith in 'Many Happy Returns,' but I think that was just on the spur of the moment, slightly better than John Smith, but with the same meaning, that it was not his own! Even old colleagues in the episode 'Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling' wanted the Prisoner to use his code name, not his real name. And Janet Portland couldn't use her fiance's name when asked "Who could have give you that message?" To which Janet replied "No-one but you." I mean how difficult could it have been for Janet to have said "No-one but you John."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 6 years 4 months ago #1782

It's because Patrick Mcgoohan didn't own the rights to John Drake!
Im the new number 2!
and number 6!

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 6 years 4 months ago #1795

Quite right
BCNU

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 6 years 3 months ago #1800

• NoNine
  • Senior Boarder
May be.. but do you think McGoohan/The Prisoner wanted to be Drake any longer? I mean.. he resigned, didn't he?

BCNU
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by NoNine.

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 6 years 2 months ago #1807

Hello Fellow Villagers

I have seen it posted elsewhere that McGoohan had stated to the UK press as early as April 1966 that he was pitching Lew Grade a new character that differed from John Drake.

In July 1966 there is a news item in the US press that McGoohan had conceived of 'The Prisoner' as a person in a high security position who resigns. McGoohan then stated that he was finished with the John Drake character.

I believe that production on 'The Prisoner' would have begun in September 1966.

Further McGoohan is on record in the UK press in Oct. 1965 as saying he wanted to create a film about life in a futuristic society where people had 'no names only numbers'.

Given all the above and that No.6 was given a number for 'official purposes' by the New Number 2 it would seem that the 'No.6 was John Drake' does not make much sense at all.

BCNU

Tommcfearsom

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 6 years 2 months ago #1808

• NoNine
  • Senior Boarder
That's interesting.

On the other hand, I've read that even some of the Prisoner-crew thought that they did a kind of sequel to Danger Man. Including George Markstein and some of the writers. That's the other side of the story.

But in I my opinion, too, Number Six is not John Drake, simply because he doesn't want to be him. He doesn't want to be stamped..

The questions "Who is number Six" and also "Is he John Drake" seem to be part of the story and also part of it's birth. Answers are a prison for oneself.
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

The Prisoner on Facebook

More Prisoner

Notice

The Final Word

This site is an unofficial guide to Dangerman (1960), The Prisoner (1967) and The Prisoner (2009). Images and text are copyright their respective owners, portions owned by Granada Media, Granada International, American Movie Classics Company LLC and AMCtv.com. Other content Copyright © 2006-2013, may not be reproduced without permission.
Please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Website by Pure Glow Media. Find out about Theme Parks in America | Bournemouth | Jack Bauer's 24