Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name?

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 5 years 8 months ago #1882

• NoNine
  • Senior Boarder
Someone may have said to the writers, that No6 was Drake, but that doesn't make it so.

Even if there would have been a Writers Bible and even if there would have been stated that No 6 character was similar to Drakes (which it wasn't) that doesn't make it so.

At the end it was mostly McGoohan who crested and developed the character, and he created a different character than Drake was. Even if someone wrote down that he was playing Drake he didn't do so.

You might name 6 Drake. And if you do so, the episodes might show you things that you would not recognise if you assume that 6 is not Drake. But you are also free to think, 6's name is McGoohan, or Faust, or John Doe, or John Smith.

If there would have been this bible stating that 6 is Drake and noone else than it would also have been written there not to name him. The writers didn't follow it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 5 years 8 months ago #1886

Just found this video in which McGoohan quite clearly says that the Prisoner isn't Drake!

Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Number_18. Reason: correcting video link

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 5 years 8 months ago #1887

• jimboy
  • Junior Boarder
It's been very interesting to note that with regard to the recent exchanges, how this thread is still generating much interest and debate.

If I may be allowed to re-enter the 'friendly fray', I'm of the firm opinion that if it is accepted that the basic concept of 'The Prisoner' is mainly - if not totally attributed to P.McGoohan and his intention as Executive Producer of 'The Prisoner' was that 'No.6' is definitely not 'John Drake', then surely this is the only case in point?

This to me however, has never precluded the logically simple idea that 'No.6' is very similar to the character of 'John Drake' in many respects - with some similarities being more obvious than others!

Shortly after 'The Prisoner' series had finished its initial run on UK TV, episodes of 'Danger Man' were subsequently re-shown in one or more areas in the UK. This enabled character comparisons to again be directly drawn between 'No.6' and 'John Drake'.
Without any intention to annoy 'Danger Man' and ‘The Prisoner’ devotees in any way and although I'm not sure, I seem to vaguely recall that John Drake's 'superiors' were never prominently featured, or revealed - am I right or wrong?
If however, they weren’t revealed and if one disregards PM's intention not to reveal the identity of The Prisoner's 'No.6' character, this could well help to support the case either for, or against the 'John Drake / No.6' characters being the same - in accordance with one's own interpretation and preference etc.?

As I mentioned in a previous post, the timeless enigmatic ambiguity of 'The Prisoner' still continues to promote much ongoing interest and discussion.
May these debates therefore, continue unabated and in a healthy manner!

Regards to all!

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 5 years 8 months ago #1888

Hello

The 17 episodes of 'The Prisoner' are the 'canon' not the books that followed.

'The Prisoner' was created and written as an allegory by Patrick McGoohan so if you want No.6 to be John Drake you are free to do so.

BCNU

Tommcfearsom

P.S. "John Drake of 'Secret Agent is gone". July, 1966 Patrick McGoohan. Production on The Prisoner began in September, 1966 so John Drake was "gone" before the cameras even began to roll.
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Tommcfearsom.

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 5 years 8 months ago #1889

• nathan
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello all,it's great to see people arguing about 6's identity 45 years after we did back when it was on!To whoever posted that youtube video...Thank You!That was a great little bit of film.To me 6 was always John Drake,but that's me.The beauty of The Prisoner is that it's like a great song or work of art...it's what each person interprets it to be;and what the persons interpretation is says more about the person themselves.All of you please remember Pat's birthday coming up March 19 a week from this coming Monday.Lift aglass & watch your favorite episode.BCNU Nathan

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 5 years 8 months ago #1890

• jimboy
  • Junior Boarder
Good post Nathan!

I'm sure there are many who are happy to share your viewpoint and I think it's good to carry on with the lively discussions.

Thanks for the reminder / heads-up regarding Patrick McGoohan's birthday! PM was born on the same date as 'No.6' and maybe for some - on the same date as 'John Drake'!?

Cheers!
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by jimboy.
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds

The Prisoner on Facebook

More Prisoner

Notice

The Final Word

This site is an unofficial guide to Dangerman (1960), The Prisoner (1967) and The Prisoner (2009). Images and text are copyright their respective owners, portions owned by Granada Media, Granada International, American Movie Classics Company LLC and AMCtv.com. Other content Copyright © 2006-2013, may not be reproduced without permission.
Please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Website by Pure Glow Media. Find out about Theme Parks in America | Bournemouth | Jack Bauer's 24