Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name?

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 5 years 8 months ago #1912

• NoNine
  • Senior Boarder
I like wiki - speedlearn for everyone and you don't have to spill your drink. (No, no, nothing against wiki, I'm using it very, very often, too, just a thought). But nothing new in there, I think.

The Prisoner is also about struggle for identity, isn't it? And this struggle is carried on by the fans. Why end it? I love it..

Number Six is not John Drake and he is not not John Drake. Like Number Six is not Number Twelve and he is not not Number Twelve.. This is only possible in The Village. And in real life.

Uh, uh, I know who Number Six is. Number Six is Number One!
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by NoNine.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 5 years 7 months ago #1915

Hello NoNine

The nifty thing about McGoohan writing 'The Prisoner'as an allegory from it's inception is that this allows the freedom to have No.6 be 'John Drake' if that is their choice.

The problem of No.6 being ONLY John Drake is that it reduces the series in breadth and conception as a James Bond pastiche (in my opinion). The very thing that McGoohan did not want the series to be.

It just makes no sense what so ever in light of that from April 16, 1966 when McGoohan had pitched to Lew Grade 'a different sort of character' on, June 3, 1966"..McGoohan's new series will be called "The Prisoner." and it is|an idea of his own which gets him away from secret agent roles.."and the now much quoted July 25, 1966 "John Drake of 'Secret Agent' is gone."(Patrick McGoohan). John Drake, it is made clear, was not to be part of any plans that McGoohan had for The Prisoner.

All the above occurred long before the cameras rolled in September of 1966.

BCNU

Tommcfearsom
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Tommcfearsom.

Re: Why Is It That No-One Uses The Prisoner's Name? 5 years 7 months ago #1918

• NoNine
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Tommcfearsom,

I agree!

Chaining Number Six to John Drake MIGHT reduce the series in breadth, for some fans. But maybe they need it to put some order to it? I don't know.

And perhaps it hasn't to be that way. Because the plots and lines are timeless and amazing, no matter what name borne by the protagonist.

BCNU!
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

The Prisoner on Facebook

More Prisoner

Notice

The Final Word

This site is an unofficial guide to Dangerman (1960), The Prisoner (1967) and The Prisoner (2009). Images and text are copyright their respective owners, portions owned by Granada Media, Granada International, American Movie Classics Company LLC and AMCtv.com. Other content Copyright © 2006-2013, may not be reproduced without permission.
Please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Website by Pure Glow Media. Find out about Theme Parks in America | Bournemouth | Jack Bauer's 24