Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Did The Village Defeat No.6 ?

Did The Village Defeat No.6 ? 6 years 2 months ago #1845

Hello Folks

In The Prisoner episode Once Upon A Time we see No.2 encouraging No.6 to "Kill! Kill! Kill!" .... in the very next episode Fall Out that is exactly what No.6 does in the famous 'machine gun breakout'... and on a mass scale.

My question is .. Did The Village win by turning No.6 into the deadly killer they wanted all along?

I look forward to your replies.

BCNU

Tommcfearsom
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Tommcfearsom.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Did The Village Defeat No.6 ? 6 years 2 months ago #1846

• Craig225
  • Fresh Boarder
I would say not. If he was a killing machine, Number Six would not have bothered rescuing Leo McKern's Number Two character or Alexis Kanner's young man rebel character, or even the dwarf. Number Six saved not one, not two, but three more people in addition to himself.

Re: Did The Village Defeat No.6 ? 6 years 2 months ago #1847

Hello Craig225

Ah yes, but No.6 only 'rescued them' because they would help him escape and the No.2 was then restored to power to once again have nations rise or fall at his word .... soooo... wouldn't that be a victory for The Village?

BCNU

Tommcfearsom

Re: Did The Village Defeat No.6 ? 6 years 1 month ago #1848

• jimboy
  • Junior Boarder
A very interesting discussion thread ‘Tommcfearsom’ and ‘Craig225”.

With regard to the Village’s intention to directly convert ‘No.6’ into a ‘Killing Machine’, apart from the interesting comments already posted, my contribution to this is also based on certain events that are witnessed in the final scenes of the last episode (Fall Out).

It may well be considered that the following comments are ‘off the mark’, but hopefully, they are not.

In the final episode, we see ‘No 6’, ‘The Butler’, a freshly resurrected ‘No.2’ and a rebellious ‘No. 48’ make their successful escape from the ‘The Village’(The Establishment).
They supposedly escape to the ‘freedom’ of the outside world - only to find themselves still trapped within a controlled and law enforced ‘Establishment’ and therefore, a society that is probably abhorred by ‘No.6’.
This is further suggested when ‘No.6’ and ‘The Butler’ hurriedly run away from an on-duty police officer.

Surely then, if No.6 was successfully converted to a ‘Killing Machine‘ by and for ‘The Establishment’, why would he need to run from an ‘Establishment’ law enforcer at the close of the series?

Conversely and maybe to back up what’s been suggested by 'Tommcfearsom', later, we do however, see Leo Mc Kern's 'No.2' about to symbolically re-enter the UK’s power base in Westminster and dressed in similar attire to those who are invariably involved with the running of ’The Establishment’. We see him with a smile on his face that implies that this could well be a smile of full approval with regard to ‘a job well done’ and as 'Tommcfearsom' suggests, to carry on with the mission!

Furthermore and to many, this may firmly suggest that the UK government might have discreetly had a direct, or indirect hand in running the Village - as implied in earlier episodes in the series?

Ambiguity and enigmatic confusion continues to reign strongly with regard to this series – and that’s why so many will always be captivated by it!

Regards,
Jimboy.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by jimboy.

Re: Did The Village Defeat No.6 ? 6 years 1 month ago #1849

Hello Jimboy

If Leo McKern's No.2 was returned to power with all of the powers and tactics pf The Village my guess would be that he was something like the character from the TV series House of Cards known as FU:

If No.6 had become the perfect killing machine he would have become the character known as Corder ( the head of 'security' MI5/6).

BCNU

Tommcfearsom

Re: Did The Village Defeat No.6 ? 6 years 1 month ago #1850

• jimboy
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Tommcfearsom,

I've had a re-think with regard to Leo McKern’s former ‘No. 2’ character continuing the 'mission'.

I see him continuing to be amiable and jovial - as was often displayed when he resided in ‘The Village’.
He may well uphold the idea of an ‘Establishment’ that wields unhealthy power in terms of security and control, but I would be surprised to see him undertaking sordid and Machiavellian activities within such an environment.

I therefore think that the former ‘No.2’ would probably be much happier tucked away in a cosy bureaucratic post and far removed from any serious action or trouble. He would probably be happy enough just to stay in this position prior to becoming ripe enough for ‘retirement’.

With regard to the former ‘No.6’ being placed in a top-drawer security position in the same ‘Establishment’ scenario, Jim Caviezel’s ‘No.6’ character eventually achieved something similar to this in a corporate environment – as seen in the closing scenes of ‘The Prisoner’(2009).

If Patrick McGoohan’s former ‘No.6’ was placed in a top security position, surely this would seriously conflict with his own principles of freedom and self-determination? Even if the position allowed him much freedom of choice with regard to the execution of his duties, being ‘free to be able to control the freedom of others’ might be something that ‘No.6’ would never agree to do – even under duress.

One could well see the former ‘No.6’ continuing his personal rebellion against authoritative control and more than likely, agents of such an all-powerful ‘Establishment’ would constantly pursue him. Furthermore, our protagonist might well embark on a quest to re-discover himself and determine his true destiny in life - with, or without success.

As part of his strategy to evade the authorities, would it be too ironic if the former ‘No.6’ decided to anonymously go on that holiday he had always promised himself?

Jimboy.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by jimboy.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

The Prisoner on Facebook

More Prisoner

Notice

The Final Word

This site is an unofficial guide to Dangerman (1960), The Prisoner (1967) and The Prisoner (2009). Images and text are copyright their respective owners, portions owned by Granada Media, Granada International, American Movie Classics Company LLC and AMCtv.com. Other content Copyright © 2006-2013, may not be reproduced without permission.
Please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Website by Pure Glow Media. Find out about Theme Parks in America | Bournemouth | Jack Bauer's 24