Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Today's Village

Today's Village 5 years 4 months ago #1972

• NoNine
  • Senior Boarder
Hey all,

what do you think, what makes our village today? Yes, there is surveillance and advertising, in the 60s there was the Cold War, today there is the threat of Terrorism.. and so on. But there are also various other types of pressure.

Where do you see the similarities and parallels between our village and the one that Number Six has lived in? Where does it hide in our everyday lifes?

BCNU
NoNine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Today's Village 5 years 4 months ago #1974

[img/] [img/] Hello NoNine

First you have to tell us how you define yesterdays Village.

McGoohan stated in an Oct. 1965 interview that he was interested in making a film about a society in the year 2000 where people have 'no names only numbers' and that 'leisure' is the goal of society and the citizens need the 'educated' "to cope with all that leisure'. McG in another interview in Nov. 1965 announces he has as his next project a planned limited TV series written and directed by himself to be filmed after Danger Man had wrapped production.

You may recall that No.6 promises 'leisure is our right' in Free For All and that all 'pleasures' in The Village are 'manufactured'. Further the New No.2 in Arrival states that for 'official purposes everyone has a number'.

'No number no phone call.',,, not even to Blofeld.

Perhaps to appreciate the terrors of a 'leisure society' you need a quick trip to Pleasure Island and experience the resulting consequences:

images.wikia.com/disney/images/8/88/PleasureIsland.jpg

i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/2/9/5/4295.jpg?v=1

I also refer you to the 1968 comments of TV reviewer Rick Dubrow:

"The Prisoner resists compromising his individuality in this outwardly pretty village. And suddenly we realize we are watching the closest thing a television series has come to creating the world of "1984".

But at least in "1984" one knew the enemy was really an enemy. In "The Prisoner", there is a terrifying1y technicolor suburban-lawn type of atmosphere.

What is Mr. McGoohan trying to tell us? We know, of course.

The village is a sort of ominous Disneyland, with piped-in soft music and public announcements over hidden loudspeakers. The community is planned down to the last horrible detail."

BCNU

Tommcfearsom

Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Tommcfearsom.

Re: Today's Village 5 years 4 months ago #1975

• NoNine
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Tommcfearsom,

very interesting post, thank you!

I've read about some comparisons between The Village and Disneyland, too. Reading your post reminded me of what I've read in "The Prisoner: The Modern, the Postmodern and the French Poststructuralism in the 1960s" by Keith M Booker (not that I can remember it very well). This article might be interesting for you, too.

For myself, I could not define yesterdays village. I did not live then. I think it was primarily about bureaucracy, authorities, and the freedom of the individual, as McGoohan stated in 1983. And of course about the moral of the society, about manufactured pleasures, forced happiness and about the aggression that lies behind it.

In my opinion someone who really got it right his way is Roy Harper. I really love his song about The Prisoner. You find the lyrics here: Roy Harper McGoohans Blues

Concerning todays village: I think it's build upon illusions. Today the individual sometimes seems to be the heart of the matter. Additionally, the fewest people want uniformity or feel obliged to (traditional) authorities (others than stars) or moral. Nevertheless, most of us are numbers stored in many files, and not free at all. Despite sometimes it seems that "freedom" is a responsibilty. Perhaps one might say that we are prisoners of our kind of freedom, of money, pleasure, our very own role models, ideals and so on. But today the many Number Twos are very well disguised.

BCNU
NoNine

Re: Today's Village 5 years 4 months ago #1976

• NoNine
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Tommcfearsom,

very interesting post, thank you!

I've read about some comparisons between The Village and Disneyland, too. Reading your post reminded me of what I've read in "The Prisoner: The Modern, the Postmodern and the French Poststructuralism in the 1960s" by Keith M Booker (not that I can remember it very well). This article might be interesting for you, too.

For myself, I could not define yesterdays village. I did not live then. I think it was primarily about bureaucracy, authorities, and the freedom of the individual, as McGoohan stated in 1983. And of course about the moral of the society, about manufactured pleasures, forced happiness and about the aggression that lies behind it.
In my opinion someone who really got it right his way is Roy Harper. I really love his song about The Prisoner. You find the lyrics here www.justsomelyrics.com/1331365/Roy-Harpe...han%27s-Blues-Lyrics

Concerning todays village: I think it's build upon illusions. Today the individual sometimes seems to be the heart of the matter. Additionally, the fewest people want uniformity or feel obliged to (traditional) authorities (others than stars) or moral. Nevertheless, most of us are numbers stored in many files, and not free at all. Despite sometimes it seems that "freedom" is a responsibilty. Perhaps one might say that we are prisoners of our kind of freedom, of money, pleasure, our very own role models, ideals and so on. But today the many Number Twos are very well disguised.

BCNU
NoNine

Re: Today's Village 5 years 4 months ago #1977

Hello NoNine

I agree with many of your points.

You may recall the line 'Before the war... which war???'

Here is a real No.2 who eventually turned his Village apparatus on the public he was suppose to be protecting.

Here is another Village of yesterday:

Here is one of the famous Village like films from The Village of yesterday.... you will note the Colony 3 like qualities.

BCNU

Tommcfearsom

PS In my next post I will give an account of The Village of today.

Re: Today's Village 5 years 4 months ago #1979

Hello NoNine

Here is an example of The Village today.

youtube.com/watch?v=8C7qsqa78o0

BCNU

Tommcfearsom
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

The Prisoner on Facebook

More Prisoner

Notice

The Final Word

This site is an unofficial guide to Dangerman (1960), The Prisoner (1967) and The Prisoner (2009). Images and text are copyright their respective owners, portions owned by Granada Media, Granada International, American Movie Classics Company LLC and AMCtv.com. Other content Copyright © 2006-2013, may not be reproduced without permission.
Please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Website by Pure Glow Media. Find out about Theme Parks in America | Bournemouth | Jack Bauer's 24